Saturday, January 19, 2013

Yes, I ran around London with my weird toe shoes. Yes, it was awesome.


I’ve faced a few dilemmas in my first week in London, the biggest of which have been whether to renew my subscription to the New York Times and whether to sign up for a gym membership. My parents graciously got me a subscription for my birthday this summer, which unfortunately expired one week before leaving on the phone. I figured I’d stretch out my ten free articles for as long as possible, and then save my money to pick up a subscription here. I ran out of articles after two days. So, after talking with my boss and an English friend (and some of my own research, of course) I decided to follow the Guardian, a left-leaning “broadsheet” here with a free website. I’ve been really impressed with its articles and analysis (some of my Facebook friends may have noticed my occasional Guardian postings over the last few days), and I’ve used the Guardian to follow much of the Algerian hostage crisis and EU referendum fiasco. But I still missed waking up with Paul Krugman, Nate Silver, Nick Kristof, et al, and once the President came out with his gun safety initiative, I gave in to Mr. Sulzberger & co and purchased a subscription for another year. While I would have liked the experience of seeing the world solely through British eyes, I figure I’m enough of a political junkie to keep up with both the Guardian and the New York Times during the semester.
As for the gym membership, I’d been going back and forth between paying 100 pounds to get access to the YMCA gym for three months and running regularly. I don’t run much, but I’ve learned to enjoy it ever since I started crushing on a runner in high school (I’m sorry to say that that tactic failed). After experiencing the London cold for a few days, and realizing that I could hardly be outside for more than 15 minutes at a time, I talked with my parents earlier in the week and resigned myself to sign up at the YMCA on Friday. Yet before I left, I decided that I might as well give running a shot—if I hated it or got too cold, I could just come back and sign up later. So I layered up, strapped on my Vibram toe-shoes, and ventured out into the cold. What followed was one of the coolest runs I’ve taken. I hardly felt the cold and ran all the way up to Regents Park, a gargantuan public park in Northwest London. Walking around the perfectly-manicured trees, I realized that this is what studying abroad is really about: stepping out of my comfort zone (in this case, buildings with central heating) and doing something that may not turn out well. I wasn’t going to cocoon myself in the gym anymore—it’s going to be way too much fun to explore the parks and sites of London on foot. The runs might be scary at first, but if they work out, this ethereal London world may become a little less daunting.
So if these dilemmas tested my willingness to integrate myself into British culture, I guess ended up a bit split. I couldn’t tear myself from the American-based newspaper I’ve grown to love, but I avoided the allure of the all-too-American gym and made a commitment to exploring the city outside. All bets are off, though, once I start my internship on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment