Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pre-Trip Excitement


            The question comes smoothly, inevitably, like an old sniffle or cough that stays with you even after the cold: “Woah, you’re going to London??? (You must be excited.) Are you excited???”
            “Yes,” I nod, “I’m looking forward to it.”
            The question, curiously, reminds me of a question I used to get frequently during my first year at college: “Oh, so you’re in college now? Don’t you love it?” Those who know me well may have heard my thoughts on that question and the danger I think it poses to the psyches of young scholars (or at least to the psyche of this young scholar), but I won’t go into that here. This is a blog about studying abroad, after all.
            So am I excited about London? No, not really.
            I can imagine the shockwaves, the epithet of “ungrateful college kid” starting to form. It must be that I think three months in London is just another experience, right? My spot on the program should be taken by someone actually excited about studying abroad, right? Right?
            Truthfully, there’s not too much I get excited about anymore. I can boil the bulk of my excitement down to three main things: 1) reuniting with old friends, 2) returning to the towns of Chapel Hill, Warwick, NY, or Cleveland, GA after any type of absence, and 3) Carolina basketball. With these three things, I can visualize the experience I’m going to have: laughing about old jokes, cheering a Reggie Bullock 3-pointer, seeing the sun set over Davis Library from my fourth-floor dorm room. Yet, I’ve never been to England before and I’ve never seen the neighborhood in which I’m living, so when I try to visualize something I may experience there, I come up a bit short. I have no idea what I’ll see when I first touch down at Heathrow, no idea what it will be like to walk up the steps of the Winston House, no idea how it will feel to unlock the door to my London flat. I hope they’ll be memorable experiences—I hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but if they’re not, I don’t want to be let down.
            So I’m not excited about London. Hopefully someday, after I’ve had a great experience on this program and I’m returning to the city for who-knows-what, I’ll be excited about it. But for now, I can only answer these questions truthfully:
  • ·      Am I looking forward to the program? Most definitely.
  • ·      Do I feel like I made the right decision? Unhesitatingly, yes.
  • ·      Do I think I’ll uniquely benefit from being in London? Yes—I think London is the right place for me next semester.
  • ·      Do I think I’ll grow as a person? It’s hard not to.
  • ·      Do I think I’ll have a good semester? I can’t predict the future, but I think I’ll learn a lot and have a lot of fun.
  • ·       What am I most looking forward to in London? The surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment