Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I suddenly have a newfound appreciation for the Nick movie "Snow Day"


I write tonight, fully into my internship and my classes, in a rare moment of relaxation from the hectic pace of London life, or at least life on this program. Though I’ve been busy, I couldn’t have asked for a better four days. On Sunday, everyone in our program went to Greenwich amidst a giant snowstorm (well, maybe not giant, but definitely the biggest one that I’ve been a part of). Greenwich, I believe, used to be a small rural town outside of London, but it was absorbed as London grew. From our time there on Sunday, I got the sense of a posh suburban town, replete with quaint shops, a small downtown area, and plenty of park space. It was nice, and while I’ve loved my time in London so far, I still enjoyed getting out into nature and roaming about vast open spaces.
I find it amazing that a snowy day seems to bring out the kid in all of us. I got in constant snowball fights, slid around the ice, and even got down in the snow and made my first snow angel! Not coincidentally, I had some of the most fun that day as I’ve had in months. It seems that we often forget some of the simplest pleasures in life: games with friends, enjoying the outdoors, laughing at ourselves, smiling too much. Amidst everything else I’m doing this semester, I hope I can find some days to just goof off and marvel at the beauty of existing in the moment.

After I got back to Chapel Hill, one of my best friends from Chapel Hill, Meg, got in from Oxford, and crashed in my flat for three nights en route to Amsterdam for another study abroad program. While she was here, our mutual friend Isaac often stopped by the flat with his friend Elston. Isaac is another Chapel Hill person who was in London for a few days as part of his post-grad intercontinental adventures, and Elston is an actual Londoner who became friendly with Isaac when he studied in Chapel Hill for a semester. None of us had seen much of each other last semester, so the visit turned into a reunion of sorts—lots of catching up and filling in, an endless supply of new stories, and some old ones thrown in for good measure. We did a lot of fun things over the last few days, but I think the essence of Meg and Isaac’s stay for me was summed up in a moment on Monday night.
Per my flatmates’ suggestion, we had gone to a fish-and-chips-type restaurant in Bloomsbury. There, we ended up in a secluded booth with a solitary candle in the middle. I was just finishing off a phenomenal English beer, and the end of some story swapping saw a quick break in conversation. I was full with good food, and I was feeling especially close to these three people to whom I had opened up about my goals, fears, and shortcomings. I looked around the table wearing this sly smile on my face, knowing that years down the road, I’d remember this night, and knowing that I was lucky to share my life, at least for the time being, with the people sitting in that very booth. I think one of the great things about being abroad is that I’ve some time and perspective to look at my life back home without being distracted by being there. Sometimes, I’ve found that I maybe have been coming up short when I thought I was doing fine, but in moments like the one in the booth, I found that I had something special in something that can be as ubiquitous as friendship. And that means a lot.


Heading up to the Royal Observatory!

Self-explanatory.

Under the ship in Greenwich.
Snow in Greenwich!
More snow.
My wonderful crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment