Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm pretty sure my bed is tilted more degrees than the temperature outside


From Monday:

I realize that my first two blog posts have been a bit heavy and esoteric, so I’m going write this one a bit more newsy and off-the-cuff. I write tonight from my somewhat-precariously tilted bed, three floors above ground level, on Bedford Place in Bloomsbury. Aside from the slight tilt in the floor level, I’ve been really impressed with the flat—great location and relatively spacious for the London address. If I lived in a place with this much room and this good of a view (if you look the right way, you can see Russell Square) in New York, I’d be a happy man. For whatever reason, I find myself starting to turn the corner on the third day of new experiences, from Leadershape to Birthright, and today was no different. I went on a shopping excursion alone today for some toiletries, and managed not to get lost. The processes that molded my formidable mental map of DC last summer are at work again, and I currently know my way around a few streets near the flat. I bought a 6-pound map today that’s at least 100 pages thick and covers just about all of Greater London, so I plan on carrying that around with me a lot.
It snowed today! It didn’t snow very hard, and the snow didn’t stick, but when you’ve only seen it snowing twice before in your life, any type of snow is a big deal. It’s just amazing to look out the window and see little specks of white fluttering across your view. Nature can be so cool sometimes.
Finally, I changed around my course schedule since I’ve been here, so I’m now taking classes on British politics, British history, and the London art world. I’d been signed up for a literature course, but I realized that I didn’t want to spend too much time in London reading Shakespeare and Dickens, and I might as well use class to get to all the art museums my aunt keeps telling me about. That’s about all from today, but I’ll check in soon! 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete